Sunday, October 28, 2012

This Jet Roars

Russell Blake's "Jet" is the first novel in a fast paced trilogy that will have you on the edge of your seat. Jet is an ex-Mossad operative who faked her own death to get out of the business.  She's made a new life for herself on the island of Trinidad.  Suddenly her life is disrupted by an assassination attempt that could only have been planned by professionals.

Now Jet must figure out how she was betrayed and who wants her dead.  Her search will take her across continents and unearth a plot of destruction and domination.

The character of Jet reminded me of an older Lizbeth Salander from "The Dragon Tattoo".  Blake gives Jet more emotion and depth in this first book of the trilogy than Lisbeth had in "Dragon", in my opinion.  The villains are deliciously evil.

The story is fast-paced and full of unexpected twists and turns.  It's a great thrill ride that will leave you anticipating the rest of the trilogy.




4 comments:

  1. Nice review, Kate.

    I read JET and enjoyed it. I agree with your comparison to Lizbeth Salander; Jet is a more proactive protagonist. And in DRAGON TATTOO, Lizbeth was the only character I even liked or cared about. If I read the 2nd or 3rd Larsson books, it will only be because I feel for Lizbeth.

    That being said, I felt for Jet much more. Plus, she's a bad-ass. And Blake's writing is fast-paced (as you stated), and smooth, with plenty of interesting turns of phrase. The effect is that the reading level is elevated, but without boasting an air of pseudo-intellectualism.

    Just plain ol' good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Ryan! I agree, Jet is a great character. Blake really makes you want to know what happens to her next.
      I read book 2 of the Larsson series, but have yet to read the 3rd. Although, I did watch all 3 of the original movies. ;)

      Delete
  2. That is a great review. I've not read the Dragon Trilogy, but I've seen all three movies and that is high praise indeed.

    ReplyDelete